Sunday, May 3, 2020

Bobby nostalgia

Hi, I'm Bobby! Mujhse dosti karoge? 

If there is a movie I'm nostalgic about, it has to be Bobby. And it has nothing to do with the movie in itself, but everytime I watch or listen to a scene or song from that movie, I'm flooded with memories of times, the moments of that 1973 in my life. It evokes memories of the smells, the colours, the feelings, everything in that 5yr old me. 

Perhaps it's because the radio at homes and streets, public parks, was abuzz with songs from the movie. And to top it, I'm told I watched the movie at least 5 times that vacation season. I don't recall watching any movie twice in the theatre. But apparently the movie was such a hit, that every relative or friend visiting our Baroda home would wish to see the movie and I was taken along (maybe I didn't need a ticket!!). But the imprint the movie left on me was immense. It has filled my senses like no other.

Of course, I love re-watching, over and over, my all time favourites, on different online streaming platforms now. And I watched 'Mera Naam Joker' the other day, a day before Rishi Kapoor passed away,  just to see a boy-Rishi. I must have been 2yrs old when that was released, but I still have abiding memories of one or two images from that movie. And it is not 'imagined' memory from a repeat watch! 

Strange, how certain frames and images open a flood gate of nostalgia. These moments are so overwhelming, that it hits me like a gentle wave, and I stand motionless with eyes closed, to bask and savour the smell, feeling, colors, everything, till the wave tides over me.....I guess we all experience it? What are we, but memories! Good ones, bad ones !!

PS: I'm movie buff. Would have liked to use the word 'cinefilia' (fancy word, that!!) but can't handle watching and savouring more than one movie a day. Sometimes I take several days to 'enjoy' a good movie. Thank God for 365 days in a year!!!

Btw, the doll was in the making for a few days. She was completed/christened today at 5pm 😎 A happy, cheerful, tribute to the kind of public persona Rishi Kapoor was. RIP 💐💝🙏

2.5.20




No comments: